Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Quiche-o-rama

My go-to meal for breakfast, lunch and yes, sometimes even dinner on a rare night to myself, combines garden miscellany with pantry staples. It's portable, it's never the same twice, it's crustless quiche.

Tonight I made zucchini-tomato-cheddar, but the combinations are endless. Here are the basics:

Quiche base
3/4 c egg white
2 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
2 ts mustard (I usually use dijon...tonight I used champagne dill)
1/2 c shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Whisk the above ingredients together and pour over filling (see below) into buttered pie plate. I usually top with additional shredded cheese and some fresh minced herbs, whatever I have on hand. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool. Cut. Eat. Yum!

Quiche filling
You will need about 3-5 cups total of your chosen filling combination, depending on how dense your ingredients are. For tonight's creation, I used about 2 cups of steamed zucchini and about 2 cups of quartered cherry tomatoes.
Zucchini-tomato-cheddar crustless quiche, and some of the ingredients I used to make it.

Another one of this summer's other faves:
Chard/bacon/onion - Sautee 1/2 a chopped onion in 1 tb of olive oil and 1/4 c bacon bits. Once the onion softens, empty the pan into the pie plate, put another tb olive oil in the pan and sautee about 4 cups chopped rainbow chard leaves and stems, turning it constantly until wilted. Add the chard to the pie plate, pour over the quiche base, and top with cheese (I used gruyere!).
I am looking forward to trying this one with kale in another month or so.

I also plan to try it with some canned (blech!) and frozen ingredients during the winter. Hopefully I will have enough herbs on hand still to flavor up the blandness. Sausage and shrimp? Spinach and artichoke? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment