Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tailgate time

Football season started - for me anyway - this weekend with the first Eagles tailgate of the year.
What's a primal girl to do without chips, subs or cookies?
Eat MEAT! Mmm...burgers, chicken apple sausage (from Trader Joe's), and grilled shrimp. Veggies and dip round it out -- and keep me from chewing my arm off waiting for the grill to heat up!

Burgers
OK, I know everyone knows how to make a basic burger, but my husband is truly the master. Here's how he does it:
85/15 organic ground beef (or venison)
Cayenne, garlic powder and minced onion to taste
Mix (by hand) and make into four patties per pound of beef. Poke a little hole in the center of each with your finger to help them cook all the way through.
Top with mustard, avocado and cheddar.
Veggies & dip, burgers & toppings ... Go Eagles!
Shrimp
Whisk 2 parts olive oil and 1 part lemon juice
Add generous amounts of minced garlic, cumin, ground pepper and chopped cilantro
Marinate shrimp for several hours and then throw on the grill for a few minutes until just cooked

Dip
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c sour cream
1 tb minced garlic
1/4 c chopped herbs - whatever is fresh in your kitchen garden (I used tarragon, parsley, chives and oregano this time. Cut the leaves with a mezzaluna to release some of the oils and to avoid having large pieces of leaf in your dip.)
Mix together and let sit about an hour for flavors to blend.
I serve with broccoli and carrot slices.
This dip is also good to stuff mushroom caps or cherry tomatoes. I also used it as a spread for my burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment